Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dues Referendum 2014 - guest post

From Stats Can: "In the past decade, the average price for food staples has risen. From 1999 to 2009, the average price of a loaf of bread has increased from $1.31 to $2.50, a dozen eggs from $1.77 to $2.61, 454 grams of butter from $3.01 to $4.35, a litre of partly skimmed milk from $1.41 to $2.11 and 1 kg of ground beef from $3.90 to $7.02."

Are you paying the same amount for rent, utilities, transit, phone, cosmetics, gym membership, etc as you did in 1999? How can any Equity card-carrying member expect their Association to continue operating our "business of show" at a loss?  I run my own gardening business when I'm not onstage, and much as I hate to raise my fees, I must, if I want to maintain a high standard of service to my clients. Revenue Canada wouldn't tolerate a business running at a loss for long. 


I fully support increasing our dues rate and keeping CAEA operational at the high standard of service we have come to expect, and indeed, need.  CAEA has had my back in a number of disputes with producers and I hate to imagine the dark days of no regulation. I ask you to keep us strong and united by keeping our professional Association in good business stead.

Paula Wolfson
Member, Ontario

3 comments:

  1. can I ask what was the membership number in 1999? We're close to 6000 now I understand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay. I don't have detailed membership info from that time, but one of the documents from that referendum refer to a membership in good standing of about 4700. Currently, our membership in good standing is 5700.

    ReplyDelete

Please include your name. Comments may be reviewed before appearing, and may be withheld or removed at the administrator's discretion.