Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dues Referendum 2014 - guest post

Hi. 

I would like to speak in favour of the Dues increase. I know, I know, believe me, I know. I know all the arguments for and against… and I can’t afford it either. However, after more than 14 years, I think it is about time. I believe they should have been raised every year in conjunction with the cost of living. I believe that is how it should be from here on.

I want you to understand where I am coming from, so let me tell you about me over the past couple of years… I haven’t worked, much. Sometimes I am in arrears and don’t always know from where the money will come from to pay my dues. My wife and I have a seven year old. Alison works as a Designer, a Stage Manager, and a general all-around technician (she has, of course, a Masters in Acting). That’s our life. Day to day, week to week, and month to month. It’s a struggle… We aren’t alone, this is nothing new…for too many of us.

I am not whining or complaining. We chose this career path, and there was more than enough evidence that it would be, to put it mildly, Hard. Yet, my dues are the first thing I pay… when I get money. Here’s why: for all of us.

I want us to be strong, as individuals and as a group within our society.

To be strong we need a working organisation; and it costs money run an office, to lobby, to negotiate with producers, to administer an association with 6000 members and handle many thousands of contracts and other documents each year, to have a national presence. That means we need to spend money. It can’t be the same amount we were spending 14 years ago. Every year prices go up… for everyone, not just us. If we don’t raise dues what will be the cost?

Equity's responsibility is response-ability: the consistent capacity to act effectively on our behalf. They can't do that without our help; that's our responsibility. Please support your association.

Cheers,

John O’Keefe
Member, Atlantic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your name. Comments may be reviewed before appearing, and may be withheld or removed at the administrator's discretion.